Sunday, December 9, 2012

The British Invasion: British and American Music Part 1

Okay, this post is a bit self indulgent, but i think some of you, at least--particularly those of you from my generation--will find it fun.

My wife Maggie and my daughter Ruby are here, now, visiting me.  We were driving in the car today from Whitby--which I have others interesting things about which to say--and I started naming all of the musicians in my iTunes, cd, tapes, and record collection--yes, actual tapes used in a tape player and records with a turntable and the whole thing--who are British.

Wow!  I was amazed that, other than jazz and blues--which are obviously American--and French and classical music, most of the people to whom I listen are British.  Here is a quick list:

Genesis
Pink Floyd
Kinks
The Beatles
Led Zepplin
Rolling Stones
The Smiths
The Cure
Steve Crosby
Peter Gabriel
Radiohead
King Crimson
Sade
Nick Drake
Cat Stevens
Seal
Yardbirds
Jeff Beck
Van Morrison
Queen
David Bowie
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Eric Clapton
Cream
The Who
Elton John
Yes
ELO
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Roxy Music
Kate Bush
Phil Collins
Black Sabbath
Def Leppard
Paul Rogers and Bad Company
Duran Duran
Robert Palmer
The Clash
Sex Pistols
Elvis Costello
The Police
Sting
Cars
Adam and the Ants
Everything but the Girl
Eurythmics
File:Morrissey-SXSW2006.jpgDire Straits
Wham--common, I like them, okay
Power Station
Cocteau Twins
Tears for Fears
Adele
Coldplay--but only the first two albums, ugh after that
David Grey
Portishead
And, last but certainly not least, U2

That is the best I can do off the top of my head.  Try it yourself and see if you are similarly influenced.























No comments:

Post a Comment