Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Culture and Politics of Identity: Impression 5


The following is fifth in a series of five posts on my impressions about the culture and politics of identity while living in Europe.  None of them are complete thoughts.  Instead, they are reactions I had to situations and events during my last two weeks in the UK and France.

Impression 5: Back in the US of A

One of the things I am constantly taken with, when talking with well-traveled Europeans, is their resistance to cross-the-board caricatures about the states as a whole. Such "sober-minded" thinking drives the sarcastic side of my personality crazy; as one of my daily joys is a good, old-fashioned, sweeping generalization about something.  "Common," I want to say, "Isn't it just so much easier to throw up some stereotype and be done with it?"

Case in point.  While I was in the UK the 2012 American presidential elections took place.  The Brits were amazingly interested in the details, far beyond what I would expect.  In fact, one Brit quipped to me sarcastically (as if it was my faulty) that, in reality, the recent presidential elections in France and Germany were far more important to the daily lives of Brits; and yet, all the Brits seemed to care about was the American election.  "Well, the Brits, including Kate and William, seem to be, now, massively into Danish culture and its postmodernist television, so there," I said.  Actually, that is not what I said, but it is true, the Brits are obsessed, now, with Danish culture; and the Danes, in turn, cannot figure out why--click here to read more.

But, I digress.

Given that I live in Ohio, my fellow Brits in Durham had all sorts of questions for me.

"Is it true that, as Ohio goes, so goes the country, because no republican has ever won the presidency without Ohio?"
"Yes," I said.
"But, isn't Ohio getting older making it less relevant?"
"That is, to some degree, true."
"And, isn't the diversity of people in the US increasing, with more Mexican-Americans and Eastern Europeans, Asian and Indian immigrants, and more rights for gays and transgendered?  And, your society is getting older, and all of that is impacting the demographics of your country and how elections are won, making it harder for the republicans to hold on to their radical right position?..."

Wow, I thought, you need a hobby.

But, as the election proved, my British colleague was right.  The polls suggested that Obama won, in large measure, because the cultural and, hence, political power in America is widening outward to an increased diversity of cultural views and perspectives, making the states an even more pluralistic society.  This is not to suggest that old-school, white, male power has lessened all that much, or that the corporations have lost their financial hold on local, state or federal government.  But, it does illustrate the main point of my fifth impression about the culture and politics of identity, which I will now try to explain.

While the Brits Have lots of History; the States Have lots of Space


My well-traveled European colleagues are fond of saying to me that, "America is a really big place."  And, as the map here shows, it really is; which is something I sometimes forget.

"As such," they will always say, "there really is no one America; instead, it is more like there are lots of little Americas."

And, again, they are right.  You think of the numerous cultural differences in the states, from towns and cities to regions and states.  You've got NYC culture, Los Angeles culture, Chicago culture; you've got the the East Coast, the Midwest, the "rust belt," and all sorts of southern culture, including New Orleans.  I can keep going.

What is interesting about these geographically-grounded, cultural differences is that they are more the way Europeans think about cultural identity, given that they are a collection of countries; and, to a much lesser extent, how Americans typically think of cultural identity, given that we are a collection of states--even though many of our states are the size of most European countries.

Here, in the states, we tend to constrain cultural identity to socioeconomic status, emphasizing mostly ethnicity, gender, income and, more recently, sexual preference/identity.  For example, if you look at any undergraduate sociology or cultural anthropology course in cultural identity or race/class/gender you will be hard-pressed to find an article or chapter on the geography of culture.  Which is, I must say, odd, because so much of the culture of ethnicity and social class in the states is, actually, deeply imbedded in space and place.  Think, for example, about places like the Bronx or Harlem in New York City; or, about all the different neighborhoods in Queens, from Mexican to Colombian to Korean to Chinese to Indian; or, how about how life differs for Muslims living in Indiana versus Los Angeles; or how about white, middle-class America and its gated suburban communities?  Place is connected to culture.

Now, do not get me wrong.  Europeans likewise see culture at the level of the body.  For example in Impression 2 of this series I discussed social-class-as-cultural-identity in the UK.  And, one sees such cultural conflicts in Paris, for example, between the French and recent immigrants, such as people coming from Algeria and West Africa--click here, for example, to read a review of this issue in relation to France's recent presidential election.

And, particularly within the epidemiological, urban planning, health geography, and community health literature, there is a major movement in the states (of which my research colleagues and I are a part--click here) that studies the impact that place has on health outcomes, from obesity networks to food deserts to the built environment--click here to see more

Still, all of these differences within the states has made me realize a few things.  First, we really are a very diverse country.  Second, no wonder, given this diversity, we are so obsessed with our differences.  Likewise, no wonder we are engaged in a constant cultural war, as groups are constantly vying for power, while those with the power try to hold on to it.  In fact, sometimes it seems, particularly around elections, that we are at each other's throats.

Given all this difference--and now I am getting to the heart of my point--it is amazing to me that Americans somehow find ways to keep it all together.  Right?  The EU, in constrast, is hanging together on a string.  Remember, for example, my discussion of Habermas and his critique of the EU in Impression 3?  To repeat part of it, Habermas's basic argument is that Citizens do not have to “feel” that they belong together culturally or ethnically to act in a democratic manner and experience solidarity with their neighbors, especially beyond their borders. It is enough that they share a common set of ethical and civic values and participate in a set of institutions that enable them to communicate and debate.

And yet, perhaps ironically so, the search for a common culture is exactly what Americans constantly struggle with each other to find.  Sometimes this struggle gets ugly and deadly, as in the case of civil rights; or when political or religious ideologues try to force the rest of us to be like them--you know, the dangerous game of arguing that one's critics or those not like you are not American.  Very nasty stuff indeed.  But, despite all this terror, it seems, overall, that our struggle, in the end, goes in the right direction, toward a more pluralistic, tolerant society.

I am reminded of a quote that my father-in-law, Leonard Rusnak, used to say to me all the time.  Len was a serious student of military history (he served in World War 2 and Korea) and Europe.  He was also very fond of the Brits and their toughness in times of great trouble.  Unfortunately, Len is no longer with us.  But, as my mother-in-law, Helen, said the other day, listening to me give an off-the-cuff version of this posting,"Boy would Len love to hear about your current travels."

And, I know just what he would say, which takes me to my quote.

"Brian, Brian, Brian...  What an adventure you have had; to be out there, in the thick of it, studying things sociologically as they happen; you've got one of the best jobs in the world."  "I think so Len; I think so."

A pause, filled with silent thinking on Len's part.  Really old guys do that, right?

"Brian."
"Yes Len?"
"You know what your description of the states makes me think of?"
"No, Len, what?"
"Churchill."
"Churchill?"
"Yes.  He once said that Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing.  But, only after we have exhausted all other possibilities.  That seems to be the point you are making"
"Yes, Len.  I think that says it perfectly!  And, let us hope that its keeps going that way."




No comments:

Post a Comment