Saturday, November 17, 2012

Oh Shawarma, Oh Doner kebab; How I Luv You

If you asked someone living in the states what they thought might be the #1 fast-food item that, no matter where in the world they were, they could get it; and, equally important, that such a food item would almost always be reasonable great?  Most would probably say something like the cheese burger or perhaps a burrito.

And, in part, they would be correct.  But, not really.

Doner kebap Istanbul 20071026 crop.JPGI am sorry burger and burrito, as I luv the both of you very much.  But, as a gentleman, I must confess, in good faith, that my heart lies with another.  It is truly embarrassing having to confess this in front of you, my wonderful burger and burrito, but it is finally time you knew.  Here is it.

Throughout the world there is another fast-food item that competes for the hearts and minds of millions and millions of people, as they move through the streets of the cities and countries in which they live.  And, it is the food I seek out everywhere I travel; and I mean everywhere.  It is the Shawarma a.k.a the Doner Kebab!

Oh Shawarma, Oh Doner Kebab; how I luv you!
 
If we are to understand the beauty of this food, we have to begin with its etymology.  As stated on Wikipedia, the Arabic word shawarma (play /ʃəˈwɑːrmə/) comes from the Turkish word çevirme [tʃeviɾˈme] “turning”, and has its origins in Anatolia. It is similar to the dish called döner kebab, “turning kebab”, in Turkish, and the Greek gyros, "turned", formerly called ντονέρ /doˈner.. A related Armenian dish is tarna, literally meaning “to turn”.

These distinctions are key because a Turkish shawarma is not the same as a Greek shawarma.  In fact, on Wikipedia alone, for example, under the heading of Doner Kebab, they list over 60 regional variations, broken down by continent.  I am not kidding, CLICK HERE and look.

Next, we need to address how the meat is prepared and cooked. As stated on Wikipedia, a shawarma is made by alternately stacking strips of fat and pieces of seasoned meat (beef, lamb or marinated chicken) on a stick.  An onion, a tomato, or a halved lemon is sometimes placed at the top of the stack for additional flavoring. The meat is roasted slowly on all sides as the spit rotates in front of, or over, a flame for hours. Traditionally, a wood fire was used; currently, a gas flame is common. While specialty restaurants might offer two or more meat selections, some establishments have just one skewer.

Third, we have to talk about vegetable items, which can vary considerably, and sauces.  Most come with cabbage or coleslaw, peppers (all varying in degree of heat), pickles, etc.  And the sauces.  Oh, the sauces.  Lots of heat, garlic and sour cream or yogurt. 

Finally, we need to talk bread.  Here, again, I have seen lots of variations, from pitas to tortillas to baguettes.  And, I have even see the whole thing served as a meal, with each part separated from the others.

So, you see, you have all your food groups.  It is a perfect meal!

 

London Calling


Dear Diary, my brother Warren has been in the U.K. now for eight days.  During his time here we have eaten a shawarma/doner kebab twice in Durham; twice in Edinburgh; and once in London.  This is what happened today.  It was about 11:00am in the morning, Warren's second to last day.  "Warren, are you hungry?  Cause I am getting hungry.  Oh, look, shawarma!"  "I'm sorry, Bri.  But I think I have had enough shawarma.  I don't think my stomach can take another one, with all the spices.  They're good though."  "Nuff said. How about I grab a shawarma for myself for our walk.  But, we can get you whatever you want for dinner."

And, so, off we go, spending the next eight hours walking all over London, including eating a quick french dish in Harrods of London.  Only the French can do this.  It was a combination of smoked salmon and salmon pate infused into a two-foot long croissant.  Great day.

It is now, however, after 7:00pm in the evening and Warren, who has not really had much of a meal yet, is still hungry.  We walked around, here and there, looking at different restaurants. but none of it seems to be doing the trick.  Suddenly Warren looks at me.  You know what he is going to say.


"Bri, you are going to kill me.  But, you know what I want to do?  I want to go get a damn shawarma."  "YES!" I say. "Let's get shawarmas, get lots of spices and garlic sauce, and a ton of chips, and go back to the hotel and pig out!"

I think someone, if they have not already, needs to write a song or a poem in homage to the shawarma!

Oh, shawarma, how i luv thee.
To what shall I compare you?
I know.  A Doner Kebab--all sixty versions of it!
Yeee ha!





1 comment:

  1. Dr. C,

    I have been suffering from Doner Kebab withdrawl since I separated from the Air Force last year.

    If it's one thing the United States need.....it's a giant influx of Kebab stand. Fast food/big corporation companies have zilch on the Doner (especially with a Leffe Blonde from Belgium!).

    Enjoy the rest of your sabbatical, see you in the Spring.

    V/r,
    David Black

    ReplyDelete