Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Watching the English


Our friend, Chris, who works with Maggie at the Cleveland Museum of Art, sent along a great book for me to read and I think everyone should "check it out," as they say.  The title, as the picture above shows, is Watching the English.  It is written by Kate Fox, who is an anthropologist and member of the SIRC (Social Issues Research Center) at Oxford.  While an academic, this book is anything but stale--fear not students, the book is very entertaining.  In fact, students might see this book on the reading list this Spring--ha!

Anyway, Chris and her husband are extensive travelers, having even passed through Durham--I say now!--and Chris found this book very well done.  I agree, having read through quickly the first couple chapters, which can be perused at Amazon--click on the book picture or title above.

Books such as these hit me just right.  As my family friends and most students know, I am a huge fan of travel-anthropology type books.  I am also a huge, huge fan of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations travel show--which, sadly, is in its final season.  In fact, most of my conversations at table with other faculty here at Durham revolve around such matters.  Culture, to me, is endlessly fascinating, how it is that people creatively get on with the day.  The other person I know who would be as mad about such 'table conversations' as me is me chum, David Perusek, cultural anthropologist extraordinaire! 

Anyway, here is a list of some of my other favorites:


Paris to the Moon.jpeg
Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik


 I'll Never be French by Mark Greenside

Notes From A Small Island.jpg
 Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson

The New Italians
 The New Italians by Charles Richards


































No comments:

Post a Comment