Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Bill Bryson and I Agree: Durham is a Fantastic Place

Last night i got to listen to a lecture, here at Durham University, by one of my travel heroes, Bill Bryson.

Who is Bryson, some of you may say?  My god, you sad, sad people.  It is clear that you neither read travel literature nor consider yourself a worthy member of the human race; and clearly you are not at all, in any sense of the word, British--as you would know him--and so you are deserving of a right and proper flogging.

Well, truth be told, Bill Bryson is actually American (from Des Moines, Iowa).  But, in his defense, he has spent most of his adult life in the UK, in a small town called Wramplingham (population 110), which is about four hours southeast of Durham University.

Bill Bryson A Walk In The Woods.jpg Bryson is also, perhaps, one of the most famous human being alive to walk a good chunk of the Appalachian Trail--it, is, after all, really long and nobody in their right mind walks the whole thing.  Most important, Byrson completed his walk without being eaten by a bear and therefore lived to write A Walk in the Woods.

He is also famous for writing an additional list of incredibly humorous and wonderfully self-deprecating travel books, including In A Sun Burned Country (about Australia); I'm a Stranger Here Myself (about moving back to the states after living in the UK for twenty years); and, Notes From a Small Island, which is about his travels throughout England. 

Wdogart.jpgIn terms of his humor and insight into some of the wonderful absurdities of the human condition, I think that, for social scientists, Byrson is the equivalent of the natural science's humorist, Gary Larson.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonSpeaking of science, Byrson also wrote the very useful book, A Short History of Nearly Everything: a popular science review of what scientists have to say (circa 2003) about the universe, our planet, and how we, as humans, managed to not get eaten long enough to create late night television.  I have, in the past, recommend this book to my students as a good primer.  As a taste, click here to listen to an interview with Bryson about his book.       
 
Finally, and most relevant to my time here at Durham, Bryson was University Chancellor from 2005 to 2010.  In fact, that is why he was at Durham this past week.  They dedicated the new library in his name--click here to read a bit on his work at Durham.  I think this was just right.  As the Dutch philosopher, Kierkegaard pointed out, humor is one of the highest forms of communion we have with our fellow beings.


Anyway, for his evening lecture, Bryson decided to make a few comments and read a few stories on traveling, his time at Durham University, and life in general.  I want to share a few of the things that impressed me the most.  Also, I am sharing these insights for selfish reasons: Bryson said that, every time he says something nice about Durham, they bring him back.  So, hey, did I tell you all how much I really like it here?

First, as I have posted elsewhere, he reiterated something Americans really need to consider.  Europeans really know how to have fun.  I mean it, they really do.  As an example, remember that picture of the students at Durham passing me along to the Dining hall at Castle? (Look to your right.)

Now, mind you, when Bryson says Durham knows how to have fun, he is not talking about partying.  (Although, in all fairness, the recent edition of the Durham University Student Paper was depressed over its standings in the new British poll on per-capita drinking at UK universities.)  No, what Bryson was talking about is having fun.   The students here work hard, but they also play hard.  As an example, Durham has no theater program.  And yet, since I've been here, I have seen several plays, including Peter Schaffer’s Lettice and Lovage and Molière's Tartuffe--all performed at an incredibly high level.  And, I have seen some great music, including Mozart's Requiem, performed in the Cathedral.

Also, twice a week, here in castle, they have formals, where everyone gets together and has dinner and drinks (See upper right picture).  For my students in the states, who I am sure are wondering, yes the drinking age here is 18.  Damn, the students in Castle even have their own bar and karaoke machine.  In fact, I sang Loverboy's Turn Me Loose at the top of my lungs until the students kicked me out.  Common, they're a Canadian band!  To the right is what permanently happened to one student's face upon hearing me sing.

Second, the students at Durham University put a lot of time into social causes, charities, and so forth.  I cannot tell you how many times I have walked across the campus, or through the town market to find students raising money for this or that event.  In fact, some students even set themselves up on the street, wearing signs that say, "Give me Money to Go to Such and Such a Place to Help People."  I thought it was an interesting con at first, until I realized these kids were serious--or, at least I hope so, cause I gave them a considerable amount of my British coins.

Third, the students are thinking about the environment and our global future.  For example, I saw the world-famous sociologist, Anthony Giddens speak on the environment and our ecological future.  My students should be familiar with Giddens, as he wrote the Intro to Soc textbook you use.  I even asked Giddens a question, so that, upon returning to Ashtabula, Ohio, I can be a rock star.  See, they taped his lecture.  Click here and go to 52 minutes.  The only problem is that my question is a real "Debby Downer."  In fact, people moved away from me after I asked it.

Bryson has also been moved by the student's social consciousness.  During his lecture he read a very funny bit about flying in a twin-engine plane and running headlong into a major storm and almost dying.  His travels through Kenya were on behalf of the CARE organization, which students at Durham got him involved in.  It is a very cool place here.

Finally, Bryson, prompted by a student's question, ended with some lessons for life--seven, I think, in total.  Here is my best memory of them.  First, he said, be happy.  Life is too short and, particularly for those of us in the middle class, we live a pretty privileged life.  I forgot the second and third.  The fourth was buy all of his books in hardcover as soon as they come out.  The fifth was, do not come up behind people and scare them.  No matter what you think, it is not funny and you should be shot. Sixth was something about killing anyone who littered.  And seventh had something to do with making the world a better place; or maybe it was about drinking; I cannot remember, but you get the point.

What a great night and what a great place.  I cannot believe I only have two weeks left here.      











 
 

  





























No comments:

Post a Comment